Moringa School: Director of Product
Job Title: Director of Product (DOP)
Duration: 2 Years+ (can start with 3 months)
About Moringa School
- Moringa School is transforming higher education in Africa, starting with software development. In our current program, we transform ambitious amateurs to coding professionals.
- We are a premier advanced immersive program, training exceptional full-stack and mobile Software Engineers. Moringa School is currently expanding rapidly into other courses and geographies across Africa and is looking for top talent to accelerate our growth.
- Moringa School was named one of the ‘Top 10 Most Innovative Companies’ in 2018 by Fast Company.
- Moringa School aims to train 200,000+ knowledge workers through market-driven education in emerging markets by 2030.
- Moringa School’s mission is twofold:
- To empower people &
- To transform education through rapid-iteration teaching.
- Employees enjoy a fun, collegial startup environment.
- You will be surrounded by talented, friendly, brilliant, & mission-driven professionals who work hard to provide the best student experience of its kind in the world.
- We are committed to employee health & wellness; we truly believe that you need to take care of yourself first.
- We have 6 values: Collaboration, Bold, Humility, Accountability, Growth Mindset, Fun-loving
Mission of the Role:
As the Director of Product, you are the coach. You are someone who develops a strong product management culture and builds up the capacity of the product managers. You are responsible for leading Moringa in the research for new products (i.e. courses and corporate offerings), product enhancements and product redesign. You will evaluate the potential and practicality of products in development and rely on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. You are someone who is product obsessed with experience (or the willingness to learn) managing agile product teams and responsible for ensuring that Moringa products add value to users, and deliver a consistent experience for users. You’ll be managing a team of product managers and designers, collaborating with the learning and engineering teams, as well as guiding the Moringa’s product vision.
You will lead with a compelling vision that motivates and drives dedication across the organization and take ownership of the results, tracking critical metrics and use them to drive decision-making about what’s next. You are highly collaborative and know that to achieve your goals, you need to drive buy-in with the team through people, process and product.
- Leadership Role: On our management team, the Director of Product oversees and is answerable to the CEO and stakeholders for all activities of product management. The DOP oversees and ensures that the functions of the new and current product managers are efficiently and effectively executed. The DOP understands that leadership is critical to his/her success.
- Student-First: The DOP is able to sit down in the classroom and empathize with students – and knows he/she is responsible for being the voice of the customer inside and out of Moringa.
- Team Recruitment and Management: The DOP needs to be the product thought leader in Moringa and share his/her product knowledge through a team that he/she recruits. The DOP needs to be a strong manager who will coach and develop the product team, especially in best practices in product management.
- Collaboration/Communication: The role of Director of Product is one of a cross-functional nature, and the DOP will work with Directors of the tech, UX, marketing, finance teams and others. The reason for this collaboration is to place the Directors in a position to translate the product needs into requirements and to drive consensus within the teams, which ultimately promotes the achievement of the product goals. Collaboration leads to clear and efficient product road mapping, product planning, prioritization, and an overall agile product development process.
- Product Recommendations: The Product Managers are tasked with the analysis of information and formulations of product solutions and strategies that are presented and refined further up the line. The Director receives numerous Product Recommendations from product managers and frontline team members. He/she is then expected to evaluate these recommendations prior to authorizing the effect of any solutions and strategies for Moringa’s product.
- Stakeholders: The Director is answerable not only directly to the CEO but to the stakeholders of the business. The Director is tasked with keeping the stakeholders up to date on product process and progress.
- Vision Creation: As the leader of the product department, it is the Director’s responsibility to build an understanding and cultivate in the teams’ members the product’s vision, the business case, as well as compiling the product planning material necessary for driving product initiatives further with clarity and consensus.
- Product Line lifecycle: The Director of Product is also responsible for developing, defining, and overseeing the product’s roadmap and managing it as required for the purpose of meeting deliverables for Moringa. At this capacity, the Director of Product also incorporates the existing development backlog and makes priorities as determined by the business, consumer, and market needs. The DOP manages the process of discovery, delivery and optimization.
- Data: The DOP defines metrics for success and failure and analyze and create dashboards for key metrics. The DOP regularly review metrics and proactively seek out new and improved data/mechanisms for visibility, ensuring products stay aligned with Moringa’s objectives. These metrics can be both qualitative and quantitative.
- Customer Research: The Director of Product does not simply rely on the input and feedback of the product managers when it comes to consumer relations. A Director of Product is also responsible for engaging extensively with customers in order to gain first hand insight on the customers’ and market feedback on the business’s product. This first hand information coupled with customer and market information relayed to him by the product managers breeds a clearer understanding of the current and future market direction, needs, and potential receptivity.
- Product/Market Strategy: The Director of Product also works closely with the marketing department to develop marketing strategies, lead generation strategies, and sales strategies. The DOP also partners up with the admissions team to build on application/sales implementation as well as support strategies.
- Research and Analyses: The Director of Product is also tasked with conducting relevant product research; establishing competitive intelligence and various market analyses that supplement and compliments analyses already conducted by product managers. The Director of Product in this capacity is responsible conducting consumer and market research that further aids the business in understanding current and future product needs.
- Product Evangelism: the Director is tasked with representing Moringa and promoting the product/courses by advocating for its value and benefits at marketing events, online platforms, and so forth.
- Other Duties: The Director of Product also performs other duties as required by the CEO.
Experience and Skills Required:
- 5+ years of experience working with customer products, in product leader role. Demonstrated success in product management, preferably on multiple products.
- 5+ years of experience in education preferable
- Strong knowledge of product management processes + tools.
- Experience in management and leadership. Excellent ability to coach and develop others.
- Exceptional writing skills and communication skills.
- Learning mindset: thirst for learning new information, knowledge and honing your craft
- Metrics-focused: Define metrics for success and failure; ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions and make decisions.
- Preferably, experience in agile, lean startup product management processes
- Sound business judgment, proven ability to influence others, and strong analytical thinking skills are critical to success in this position.
- Will live and breath Moringa’s mission and vision. Will communicate what Moringa does with passion to others.
- High commitment to results. Drive and determination to exceed goals.
- Strong organizational skills, including effective time management and prioritization of competing demands/multiple deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing needs on specific projects. Flexible.
- International, multi-country experience preferable
- Preferable: East Africa Experience: Experience living / working in countries in East Africa for at least 3 years