RefuSHE Production Coordinator position in Nairobi.
RefuSHE is a non-profit organization based in Nairobi, Kenya and dedicated to identifying, protecting and empowering unaccompanied refugee children and youth; especially adolescent girls, through our specialized shelter, education and advocacy programs. The Maisha Collective, an income generating initiative of our alternative education program, the Girls’ Empowerment Program; serves as an economic springboard by helping program graduates become skilled artisans who design, produce, and market a line of unique hand dyed scarves and other items.
The RefuSHE Production Coordinator will be responsible for design and production of Maisha products & life skills training for the participants. The Production Coordinator will be responsible for sourcing all design materials, assisting artisans with creating cost-effective and feasible products on-trend, and for transitioning approved designs into production.
The Production Coordinator will also be responsible for maintaining and improving profit margins and troubleshooting material quality or costing issues. He/she will work closely with the Inventory & Sales Office and the US Sales & Partnerships Manager.
This position will require a strong connection with the mission of RefuSHE and a willingness to give a complete effort for the organization to meet its production, sales and developmental goals.
DESIGN AND PRODUCTION
- Oversees production of both new and existing Maisha Collective products, while ensuring that the quality expectations are observed and met.
- Leads the production team in product and design development to meet demands and at the same time, create a competitive advantage in the global market.
- Keeps abreast with emerging production trends through research and use the knowledge acquired to source for materials (locally) to be used in the production of RefuSHE scarfs, handbag, and home decor lines.
- Spearheads the sourcing of production raw materials internationally when quality and/or cost effective-materials are not available in East Africa
- Ensures production of quality products by developing and maintaining consistent quality control measures.
- Trains and mentors the Maisha participants on new products and designs to fulfill design projects as determined by the US Sales Manager
- Partners with the US Sales Manager to choose color and designs for each collection (2 collections per year) and forecast new trending colors, textures and designs
- Builds and grows relationships with local suppliers of craft materials
- Actively participates in determining and analyzing fashion trends and predict expected future results, and use the same information to advice on the appropriate production line and processes.
- Adheres to Quality standards, ethical/fair trade production practices and established policies and/or procedures.
- Takes production-calculated risks based on data-driven analytics and emerging market trends.
- Actively participates in the maintenance, management and stock take of the Maisha Collective Inventory
- Establishes a production evaluation system to minimize waste and optimize productivity;
- Develops and implements a viable production plan to ensure availability of sufficient products for clients and minimize production cost at all times.
- Develops and maintains production plans and timelines and ensure that the same are strictly adhered to.
- Work order reconciliation: Coordinates the collection/receiving of orders, prioritizing production according to urgency of order, and ensures that the Turnaround time on the same is strictly observed.
- Works closely with the Finance Officer and procurement personnel in effectively maintaining a material replenishment system. i.e establishing appropriate stock levels (minimum, maximum & re-order).
- Ensures all health and safety guidelines are strictly adhered to during the production process.
- Accurately matches production sample with target Fabric.
- Determines the quality and quantity of fabric and dye needed for the production process.
- Coordinates the production planning process and ensures that all material needed is available.
- Ensures daily efficiency tracking & quality control of all items and scarves produced
- Executes the overall production floor work.
- Ensures timely and quality production to meet agreed deadlines with customers
- Evaluates and advises on Maisha Collectives’ ability to produce new designs.
- Records the daily production numbers and compiles comprehensive reports on the same for onward submission to the BDM/Director of Programs.
- Actively participates in preparing daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly progress reports of the Maisha Collective.
- Undertakes the writing and maintenance of technical specifications, marketing product descriptions and care instructions for all products
- Identifies any fault fabric, keeps a record of the same and reports to the Business Development Manager/Director of Programs for any necessary action.
- Keeps all documents related on production up to date. Details on production should include but not be limited to unutilized materials/items taken back to the store, material /items received from the store, any wastages, number of items produced, and any other critical information that may involve production.
- Tracks all expenses with appropriate supporting documentation including contracts, receipts and invoices
- Provides daily updates to the BDM/DoP or any other designated officer on production status.
- Accepts additional and lawful responsibilities that may fall under one or more of RefuSHEs’ Programs as delegated by the BDM, Director of Programs or the Country Director.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Degree or diploma in Textile Design or Fashion Design from a reputable institution.
- 2-3 years’ experience in textile production, product development, supply chain management or related field in an NGO is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to work with artisans and implementing quality control measures
- Experience with raw material sourcing in Kenya
- Sensitivity to working with refugee populations
- Excellent Interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to keep abreast with emerging trends in textile production and market demands.
- Advanced proficiency in MS excel and working knowledge of MS office, outlook, & Skype is preferred.
Your application should be sent to the address below indicating the position applied in the email subject. It should include a cover letter & a detailed CV (as one document in PDF format and given your surname) with your contact details, details of current and expected remuneration, names and contacts of three referees, one of which should be your current supervisor.
Ps: Please note that RefuSHE does not charge any fees for receiving or processing job applications. RefuSHE is an equal opportunity employer.
All applications should only be sent through the email provided, candidates who had previously applied need to re-apply.
Heshima Kenya/ RefuSHE
P.O Box 63192 – 00619 Nairobi Kenya
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.